Thursday, July 9, 2015

What is Co-Dependency


What is Co-Dependency 



Codependency is an unhealthy form of love. It is where my need to take care of you compromises or harms my quality of life. Although it’s usually seen in romantic partnerships, it can occur in any relationship, including family, friends or peers. Characteristics of codependency include: 1. I feel good about myself when you like and approve of me. 2. Your problems and concerns disturb my peace of mind. 3. A lot of my mental energy is focused on helping and rescuing you (either solving your problems or relieving your pain). 4. A lot of my mental energy is diverted into protecting you. 5. I spend a lot of time and energy trying to get you to do it my way (ie. Being manipulative). 6. My self-esteem is boosted by solving your problems or helping to relieve your pain. 7. I set aside my own interests, hobbies and goals as I’d rather spend my time doing what interests you. 8. I feel how you look, how you behave, and what you achieve (or do not achieve) reflects on me – and is a judgment of me. 9. I’ve lost touch with feelings as I’m totally consumed with how you feel, and how your feelings are changing. 10. I don’t really know what I want any more – as I’m so wrapped up in you, and what you want. 11. The hopes and dreams for the future are all tied to you. 12. My fear of rejection or abandonment by you determines how I act and what I say.
13. My fear of upsetting or making you mad determines how I act and what I say.
14. I use giving as a way to feel safe and secure in my relationship with you. 15. My friends and social circle gets smaller and smaller as I involve myself more and more with you. 16. I value your opinions more than my own opinions, and am willing to sacrifice my personal values to be accepted and valued by you.